,

Friday, August 12, 2005

Reversification Glass

It is one of those things that occurs to you only when trying to draw a caricature of yourself. After finishing up the drawing, you look at it and realize that something may not be right, but you can't put your finger on it. Then it hits you. You've drawn the image the way you'd see it in a mirror, and you've put the part in the hair on the wrong side.

All I know about my own image is known to me in reverse. There is a backwards man who stares back at me in the mornings as I shave, and he has been an odd curiosity to me all my life. As a child, the tooth that was missing from my mouth was on the right side, but his left was gone. As a teen the pimple on the left side of my face was on his right side. I've never been totally sure how much I can trust someone who seems so opposite of me, yet we face off daily.

I try to remind myself that he is not exactly who I am, just a representation. Sure, when I grab my wife's curling iron and sing into it like a microphone, his lips move in concert with mine, and his face scowls as I sing "Its only Rock and Roll", but I notice he's not really singing. Mine is the only voice in the room, he just comes along for the show. He never really sings, or talks or makes a noise at all. He's not really me, just a backwards imitation of me.

Its hard to remember that. He seems so much like me. And in all honesty, my most recent memory of what I look like is picture of him. But his part is on the wrong side, and he doesn't ever sing, and that's just not like me at all.
Every day I have to remind myself, it's just a reverse image of me, but it's not me.

"I know I am rotten through and through so far as my old sinful nature is concerned. No matter which way I turn, I can't make myself do right. I want to, but I can't. When I want to do good, I don't. And when I try not to do wrong, I do it anyway. But if I am doing what I don't want to do, I am not really the one doing it; the sin within me is doing it.
It seems to be a fact of life that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. I love God's law with all my heart. But there is another law at work within me that is at war with my mind. This law wins the fight and makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin? "

Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. - Romans 7:18-25

4 Comments:

  • Geeze, old man. Most people talk about their cat or new CD on a blog. You of course, cannot resist making allegorical bible analogies. Nice work, but how was your day?

    Of course, I know how your day goes; I'm a part of it. But, think of all those fans of the magnificent Rob. They want a perspective of the everyday Rob, the real Rob behind the curtains.

    I’m just joking of course, there’s a reason everyone’s blog are so boring, because all they ever do talk about themselves. Boy, I hate people.

    Well, if this comment hasn’t gone a million directions, then no comment ever shall. What I’m really saying is:

    “Ha ha, you made another sermon. But, yeah, that’s actually pretty cool.”

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:58 AM  

  • Amen. Very encouraging to someone who goes through those kind of struggles. Thank you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:26 PM  

  • That was excellent, I really enjoyed it. Missed you today. Hope you're doing good...Ron

    By Blogger Ron, Kathy & Katlin, at 7:32 PM  

  • Self indulged/instrospection? Brad's comments have a biting humor. Perhaps I'm being harsh as bloggers remain a mistery to me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home