,

Tuesday, April 20, 2004

I think I don't fit in.
I'm really intrigued by everything that has been developing on the emerging church front, but when it really comes down to it... when I try to wrap my mind or my acceptance around all the voices calling for revolution...I get tired.
Maybe I'm lazy.
I don't really have a need to start a revolution, or try and change the ©hurch at large. I just want to hang out with the friends I have and love Jesus.
Mike Yakonelli said at the end of his book "Messy Spirituality", "religion is hard on our bones.", and I guess that's how I feel even about all the new manifestos that launch almost daily on the internet.
But I still read them.
And there are some interesting things going on out there...did you know that there are punk monks? DEATH TO THE WORLD BABY!!!! It almost seems like something out of a Mad Max movie. Actually, I rather like these guys...I wouldn't mind hanging with them for a while.
But see...while that stuff really intrigues me...I couldn't see myself starting a punk monastery here. Maybe that's the point. Maybe it's not about fitting in. Maybe I don't have to . Maybe I'm alright just hanging out with the friends I have and loving Jesus in simplicity, without a manifesto that defines us.
Still, I wouldn't mind having a "death to the world" T-shirt though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home