,

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Adventures in an alien world


I went to a catholic church Sunday morning. In all of my experiences with church et al, this is the first time in my life that I’ve experienced the Catholic Mass. I went with an open mind and a more open heart, in search of Christ in the midst of these people whose religion is my own, but whose traditions are as foreign to me as an alien world.

All in all…I must confess I was rather disappointed. For the first time in a long time, I experienced a complete disconnect. Not only were the rituals intimidating, but the total lack of explanation left me in the dark. I watched…and watched is the operative word…with great fascination the procedures and liturgies, which I know extend way back through history, but they didn’t do it for me.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to make an overall assessment about the Catholic Church. I looked around and watched the faces I sat among, and I have no doubt there are people who genuinely find meaning and substance, a touching of Christ in the mass.

Maybe it has to do with my upbringing, my Evangelical/Charismatic background, but I think my heart is the heart of a reformer. Not theologically…not at all….but practically. I crave more than anything else a simplifying of our faith, a stripping down to raw essentials this trust in an invisible Hero. That isn’t to say that I find all liturgy offensive. Fact is, I went to a Methodist church the Sunday before, and it wasn’t too different from the Catholic experience, just minus the statues. But there was a certain thrill I experienced in the congregational recitation of the Apostle’s Creed. So I’m not against liturgy in general…but it has to connect somewhere to my heart.

Anyway, I guess I’m just rambling about my experiences. What I came away with was a renewed determination to not only continue my quest for simplicity…but to be cautious to explain, and explain again all the procedures we do ascribe to, so it never becomes too familiar, and doesn’t exclude the inquirer who happens to be among us.

Simplify, clarify and include.

3 Comments:

  • I had a similar experience recently at an Episcopal service. And I was confirmed Roman Catholic! But, since age 17, I've been involved with charismatic churches.

    I agree with you, this is so important:

    "to not only continue my quest for simplicity…but to be cautious to explain, and explain again all the procedures we do ascribe to, so it never becomes too familiar"

    By Blogger kingsjoy, at 9:46 AM  

  • I love visiting new churches, I think it's such a healthy thing to do. It helps give you a new perspective on what you've become familiar with. I'm glad that you came away with something positive that you can use to encourage our community!

    P.S. I read your latest page of Rabbi Encounters...it's great!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:04 PM  

  • One thing that I can say about the liturgy is that there are resources for people to understand it. More than reading about what we're doing and why, though, the liturgy should be lived. Through the repetition of the ritual, one can grasp the simple faith that pervades it. Going and watching once cannot give an individual who has not grown up in the Church the same sense of splendor, love and truth that one who has lived the liturgy can get. For Catholics, and I am one if you haven't guessed, the liturgy is a time for us to go before God and efficaciously celebrate the crucifixion and resurrection. In the Eucharist, we have the exact opposite of a disconnect. It is the greatest connection we have to Christ. If one goes repeatedly and with faith, one can come to this understanding.

    By Blogger Bob, at 5:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home