,

Thursday, May 27, 2004

Ok...I'm working on part three of my story, but I just had to come and weigh in on this bit of news that I've just come across.
Did you know that there is currently underway a move to create a "Christian Nation"? I don't mean a return by this nation to its roots in Christian values...I mean a completely separate nation.
It's called Christian Exodus, and apparently, the idea is that since the United States won't return to the Christian values by the democratic system of voting, (as shown in the statistics they quote: "More than fifty-three million people voted for pro-abortion, pro-gay candidates in the 2000 presidential election")then the only recourse is to secede from the Union.

Dude. This is exactly the kind of nonsense I've been afraid the "bunker mentality" would lead to. What in God's name are these people thinking? Where do they think the mandate for this is from? Jesus never commanded this...and He had perfect opportunities to do so...especially in Matthew 24..."Times are going to be bad ...go form a nation that will only allow my disciples in, and keep everyone else out."
God help us.

They plan on moving 50,000 or more conservative Christians (and I'd love to see the litmus test on that one)to one of three states, who will then secede from the United States, and form their own government. The three states they have in mind are Alabama, South Carolina, and Mississippi. You know what really surprises me about this news? That Mississippi is considered part of the United States! (heh heh...just a little southern states joke....coming from a guy who lives in Northern Florida...heh heh he...oh.)

The tag line at the top of the web site says: "Would you like to live in a Christian nation with government similar to the early United States?
Well, here's your chance!
".....and I'm curious...is that the government that kept blacks enslaved, or the one that committed genocide on Native American tribes? I just can't decide which one was most Christ-like?

I'm not knocking the U.S.A. I love this nation, and I support our president, and ESPECIALLY our men and women at arms...but I totally call this notion that the United States was at one time a "Christian nation" pure crap. There is no such thing as a Christian nation; never will be until Jesus gets back.

Clearly these nut-cases have never had access to history books. Maybe they should start by reading the history of Geneva...it didn't work out so well for old Calvin. We only have to go as far as the origins of our nation to find Salem and the slight difficulties they ran into trying to create a "Christian nation". Who's got time to go into Zion Illinois, Alexander Dowie's little foray into forming a "Christian nation", and the debacle that became. And those are just a few off the top of my head.

Anyway...the idea is stupid, and only serves to promote the incorrect stereotype of Christianity as a hate-mongering, elitist religion.

Nuff said. Leave a comment if you think I'm out of line here...I'd love to discuss this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home