,

Monday, April 26, 2004

What a great weekend at the men's conference. Jon Courson was excellent. I really admire men like him. When I had the chance to talk one on one with him, I got so stoked it was insane. I always worry about how these guys from Calvary Chapel are going to react to how we do stuff at ECF. There's a part of me that still assumes we are going to get in big trouble for having so much fun. But don't you know, as I started explaining our vision and desire for simplicity, instead of eyeing me with suspicion, he got excited as well...even wanted to know where I was sitting for lunch so he could keep talking about it. He told me about his dream of setting up a church in San Francisco that has no building, no overhead, no kids meetings, no school, no retreat centers...just small gatherings at Denny's and public parks, to teach the Bible. I still get goosebumps just repeating it.

I really enjoy it when I'm challenged to color outside the lines. That's where I'm most satisfied...in that sense of wonder when we discover things aren't as complicated as they seem. I can still feel the rigormortis of familiar structure wanting to creep over ECF at times...if I fear anything, it's that...as much as Peter Pan resisted growing up, I resist that. So every once and a while, we need to kick things around...even if it's just little things...just enough to keep the cobwebs to a minimum....until God throws open some other door we hadn't noticed, that leads to some world we hadn't known about except in dreams.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home