,

Monday, November 28, 2005

Wrestling


It was a big crowd. They stood there for so long, not talking, barely wanting to even make eye contact with one another, for fear of instigating a conversation they just weren’t ready for. It was one thing to watch a man, a human being, drift up into the sky like a leaf caught in a dust devil, but then to have those two strangers, in clean white robes, show up and then disappear so abruptly; it was way more than the mind could process quickly.

Finally, one person broke the trance and said aloud, “What just happened here?”
Silence.
“Seriously, what does this mean?” the person prodded.
“I don’t know, but we need to find out.” Someone quietly replied.

I’m part of this group of people. I may be two thousand years removed from the actual incidents, but I identify with this group of questioners. Two thousand years ago a Jewish Rabbi roamed around Palestine, and He changed everything, with His teaching, His miracles, His death and His resurrection. I am part of those people who are left in His wake, asking “What does this mean?”

I realize that for way too long, I saw following Jesus as an established concept; something already understood and catalogued by those who went before us. I saw the Christian faith as a belief system that had already been thought out, and saw my role as a leader in the church as a guardian of the established concept, and as a teacher who promoted the tenants of what was accepted and understood.

I’ve known inherently that the structure that surrounded the Christian faith in America had gone terribly stupid, and I’ve been groping around for the last 15 years for a new understanding of church, and seeking an honest expression of it in my own experience.

But lately, something else has been shifting and changing in me. I know a new excitement and wonder in my relationship with Jesus. I have a better (or at least different) view of who I am as a follower of Christ.
I finally joined the journey in earnest. I’m not an expositor of known truth; I’m an explorer of an ever-evolving landscape. I’m on a journey to understand, as best I can, what it means that Jesus lived and taught and died and lived again. What it means to me…to us, right here, right now.

I’m a kid again. Everything is new. It’s like the excitement of new love. It stirs my stomach and scares me at the same time.

I’m putting on my wrestling shoes and meeting God by the Jordan. I hope I come out like Jacob, with a defining limp as my reward.

6 Comments:

  • "I’m a kid again. Everything is new. It’s like the excitement of new love. It stirs my stomach and scares me at the same time."

    I think you're on to something:

    He said, "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." (Matt 18)

    "I'm telling you, once and for all, that unless you return to square one and start over like children, you're not even going to get a look at the kingdom, let alone get in. Whoever becomes simple and elemental again, like this child, will rank high in God's kingdom..." (MSG)

    By Blogger kingsjoy, at 2:59 PM  

  • I think put back in that time, I'd be left wondering, "What the...what was it all for?"

    I would have probably been hoping for more...freedom from the oppressive Romans, perhaps...the Temple destroyed and rebuilt...something more concrete than a miracle-working rabbi who gave me loads to think about, then got punished to death, appeared like a ghost afterwards, then vanished.

    Sure, there'd be questions...but they wouldn't be anything like the one's I hear asked in church circles. I think I'd be a little bumfuddled to be honest.

    I'm thankful that I'm returning to that state of mind. I'm growing more and more comfortable with my lack of concrete answers and a waning need to have it all figured out.

    By Blogger CMD, at 11:31 AM  

  • hey there brother, wow i can really hear the tone of your heart in this post. it sounds so beautiful, romantic, hopeful. it's contagious. i am one of those people who went terribly stupid. maybe going back and pulling a "hello my name is earl" to those i have held to a standard that i can't even come close to is part of letting go of the old way. thank you so much for being transparent with darla and i, i know your care is genuine. if you are becoming child like again, what are you going to do next? finger paint? make mud caves? set up pots and pans like drums and play your brains out to a song that is all your own? reminds me of the movie BIG :) Thanks for sharing from the real you...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:34 PM  

  • When are you going to write a book? Thanks for encouraging me.

    By Blogger brianmetz, at 12:05 PM  

  • I've realized that I'm never going to be good at being a westernized interpretation of a Christian. But oh, what a journey it is to follow Christ, and to keep excavating God within me.

    May the stillness and waiting of Advent birth profound peace and joy this Christmas.

    By Blogger Anne, at 5:24 AM  

  • Hey Rob, thank you man for being so real and inviting with Darla and I. It has been really rough at times. You have been a fresh breath of life for both of us. May the Lord continue to bless the work of your hands and the soul of you marriage.

    By Blogger mdwinn, at 11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home