,

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Ok...so it's 10:58 on Wednesday morning, and I'm waiting on pins and needles, for Madison Greene and Psalters to arrive. I've spent the morning reading the Psalters web-page. These are some pretty intricate people, I'm really anxious to meet them. They have a manifesto, and I have to say, I found it quite profound. I don't know that I find myself completely on the same page with them...but the underlying observations that drive them to their conclusions definitely resonate with me.

It could be summed up, I suppose, in a cry against consumerism, and a decadent, technological culture that ultimately results in dehumanization, not only of those who participate, but on the weak and oppressed who sometimes suffer because of our constant need to feed.

I guess my disagreements come down to eschatology. I don't believe the answer to this problem, which I agree exists, is going to come from human solutions. Being a conscientious objector toward society has historically ended in anarchism, or worse, nihilism.

I just believe more mystically...that there really is a return of the King coming, and that justice comes with HIM. Our attempts to achieve justice here, by our political efforts fall too far short, and always come with at least the perceived question of motive. The issue of sin undermines any effort for justice on a global scale. Therefore, sin is the primary problem which must be addressed...and sin has it's root and residency in the heart. That's why, from my perspective, the heart is of upmost importance, and its capture by the King. Efforts to create justice here, by human effort, no matter how noble and sacrificial, can never ultimately succeed. Our mission, as the church is to work in harmony with the Spirit to capture hearts, in anticipation of the King's return, and HIS establishment of justice.

Justice, then, gets manifested on an individual level, and finds its importance there. As an individual, the Christ follower determines to act fairly, speak honestly, live lovingly as a representative and citizen of the Kingdom to come, and refuse to be motivated or manipulated by a consumerist cultures desire for possessions and power. Living in the culture, yet using critical analysis to see it for what it is, and not be drugged by it. Much like Neo could work within the created world of the Matrix, but see the code for what it was...a fabricated reality, a false construct.

I suppose that if a person doesn't have that same belief, concerning an end of the age, then all efforts should be galvanized on the one goal of establishing justice here, through the efforts of good hearts. I applaud them for their efforts and commitment. I even am drawn to the concept of living, literally, outside of the comfort zone of our society. But I know that deep down, I would still be more observer than exile, and that wouldn't be honest.

I love being challenged. Thank you hippies. You haven't even gotten here, and my day has already gone deep.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home